Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Workin' for the man every night and day.

I've never been to Australia, but I hear it is quite the experience. A kid I knew in high school just moved there, and he posted a picture of a koala in a eucalyptus tree. I thought that was pretty neat, it doesn't get more Australian than that. The wildlife there is crazy, you are never know just what you are going to find in the outback. Both my boss and Ray from www.turboford.org independently sent me the this picture of a nesting Falcon down under.

For some reason it makes me think of Rescuers Down Under
A couple weeks ago I found a good deal on a Borg Warner EFR 6258 turbo and stainless steel header. I'm definitely not at a stage where I need this turbo, in fact I don't NEED a turbo at all as the engine going in this car currently has a Holset HE351 turbo with a header I built. I knew however, that I would be wanting this exact turbo at some point down the road, so I scooped it up. The turbo itself was pretty excited as it was going to be escaping the Great White North and moving to SoCal in the middle of the winter. The EFR turbos have ball bearings and a lightweight turbine so they are very responsive, and this turbo maxes out right around 450 hp, just above my target power. It came as a package deal with a stainless steel header made by Marc Bean. Marc has a Mustang SVO with a 600-ish HP 2.3 liter engine, so I figured his header would probably be OK.






On saturday, my goal was to leak test my fuel tank and finish the brake lines. It wasn't anything huge, but I was pretty happy to get both done.

To test the tank, I plugged the tank outlets and filled it with water. I found two leaks in my fuel tank welds, so I ran new beads all around the sump. It sealed the leaks and improved the looks significantly. While I was at it, I modified the original style fuel pickup. Since I built the sump. the original pickup was no longer needed. I cut the fuel pickup tube and welded it shut, as can be seen in the last picture. It was all pretty simple, and went about as expected.







That's all for this week, folks. I didn't get any interesting pictures of the new brake lines so until next time, to quote Joe Dirt, keep on keepin' on!

1 comment: