Over the past month and a half not a ton has happened on the Falcon, but I'll share what little I have done. Over that same time period, I did have a pretty great trip to Europe with the wife. It was a long trip that ate up lots of money which means the Falcon project may move a little slower, but was totally worth it. I'll only share one photo from the trip, lest this thing become a travel blog.
|View from Neue Regensburger Hut, Stubaital Austria|
So anyway, we made it back from Europe, but as always, time is short and life is busy. I've only had time to complete a couple small tasks since August. I decide it was finally time to get a real hood retention system. Ever since I cut the core support to fit my big fat intercooler, I've been using a ratcheting tie down strap to hold the hood down as you can see in the photo below.
I have been hesitant to actually go ahead with this project because I didn't really like the idea of drilling into the hood ton install hood pins and was hoping I would think of another method to retain the hood. Well, I didn't think of another method other than Quik-Latch which, while appealing, was a little too "billet-style" for this car. I'm still not totally sold on my hood pins, but the deed is done, and hood pins are pretty old-school anyway. I'm sure they'll grow on me. On the bright side, they only cost about fifteen bucks, and are far more functional than the old ratchet strap.
|Pins mounted, ready to mark drill spots on the hood|
|First hole drilled, second hole marked|
The other small task I completed was to eliminate the last of the old girl's really terrifying features. I found that when making a right hand turn, the motor would shift slightly and the motor mount would catch on a set screw in a steering joint. This meant that mid turn, the steering angle would suddenly lock, and that would make me say "oh bother"... or something to that effect. I was able to clearance the mount in a few minutes thanks to my third favorite tool, the die grinder with a carbide burr.
It seems the more I see those two tailpipes sticking out the back of the Falcon, the happier I am with my exhaust job. Almost makes the 30 hours I spent on it worth it!
Two small items: at the beginning of this post, I said that work on the Falcon might be a little slow for a while. This is true, however, Jen and I will be moving to another house, the house where Grace currently resides. When that happens, it will be a lot easier to work. That's the first item. The second item is the video shown below. Bonus points if you can decipher it's relevance.