Monday, May 15, 2017

Boxes of Torque (part dos)

Did you know that dogs and cheetahs can be best friends? Well they can, and I saw it. It has nothing to do with my car, but its cool.


Today in Boxes of Torque (part dos) I make a passenger side torque box. Having already made and installed the driver's side, the passenger side went much quicker. I copied the patterns I had made for the other side and verified that they would fit. Then like Da Vinci with his paintbrush, I set to creating fine art with my angle grinder.



scribing the bend line makes it possible to bend thick sheet metal without a brake



In this shot you can see the S-bend in the tail of the torque box end cap. This tailis drilled and then plug welded to the inside of the lower rocker panel flange.The gap between the tail and the bottom part of the torque box is then filled bya weld 



One of the main attachment points for the torque box is inside the passenger compartment. A slit has to be cut in the floor sot hat the tab can pass through and be welded. I also added a spacer (which can be seen in the middle of the photo) to take up some space between the weld tab and the inner body structure.



With the exception of the welding burns on my arms that are still healing, the second torque box went in very smoothly. This brings us back to the original question. Did the torque boxes change the natural (or resonant) frequency of the subframe / rocker interface, thereby reducing a disconcerting vibration in the body structure when the engine is around 3800 RPM? The short answer is Yes.

I test drove the Falcon briefly and took it through the RPM range a few times. When I hit the problem RPM range, there was still more vibration than at other RPM ranges, but the amplitude was greatly reduced. While is still more than my ideal situation, but I have to remember that this is a shaky old engine in a shaky old car, and that it will likely improve once sound deadening materials and an interior are installed. My initial feeling is that my DIY Falcon torque boxes are doing the job I hoped they would do.

I had a request or two for the patterns of my torque boxes. I'm posting them below with a couple disclaimers. These worked for me. They may not work for you. My car is a 1962 Falcon 4-door sedan and I can't make any claims about any other configurations. I used 3/16 mild steel sheet to build these boxes. I'm sure there are better ways to stiffen a chassis (before you say subframe connectors, I already have subframe connectors) but this has seemed to work for me. Both patterns shown below will work on driver's and passengers, but the main body will have to be bent different directions to be used on different sides. I haven't included a plan for the main body truss. It's a funky quadrilateral that you are just going to have to figure out yourself because you are a big kid now.

Torque box end cap

Torque box main body

I'll be back soon with another episode but until then, stay cool and charge hard.

REAL MEN OF GENIUS

6 comments:

  1. A "gripping" narrative, as usual, Jesse! BTW - shouldn't your opening sentence have said, "Did you know that dogs and WELL-FED cheetahs can be best friends?"??

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Yes, I have raised many wild cats and bears with dogs even a couple with house cats, Works well.

    Good job on the Jeep and the Falcar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bears? I love bears! Do you have any pictures or videos?

      Delete
  3. Praise you Jesse, Curse you, Jesse. I stumbled onto your blog and started reading at the beginning. After 4 hours, I have called it a night, to be continued tomorrow. Why curse you?, because you have taken hours away from my project, the total rebuild of a 1970 Bellanca Turbo Viking aircraft. Praise you? first, my perspective is a great deal longer than yours at 70 years old. And I am absolutely convinced that with you and your contemporaries this country will be in good hands. And because your can do attitude can help inspire this old guy to get back and make all of the issues in my project come together. Thanks for your great writing. Mike hoover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike I appreciate the kind words! I'm always happy to hear that I've provided some entertainment or better, motivation to someone else. Good luck with the Viking, that sounds like an amazing project!

      Delete
  4. Did you ever consider looking into the Australian XP Falcon Torque Boxes?
    The 1965 XP was a Facelift of the 1960 model, so the front end would be the same and it had a factory design of Torque boxes.

    Only possible issue could be if the Floor Pan was mirrored for the Right Hand Drive.

    https://www.facebook.com/899889020144018/photos/pcb.1796940603772184/1796940483772196/?type=3&theater

    https://www.facebook.com/899889020144018/photos/a.899926676806919/1796940553772189/?type=3&theater

    https://www.facebook.com/899889020144018/photos/a.899926676806919/1796940580438853/?type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete