Monday, May 16, 2016

Creamy Peanut Butter and 2-ply Cardboard

If you woke up this morning thinking 'Maybe today Smash Mouth will make their big comeback and I'll get to see them in concert' today is not your day.

But if you woke up thinking 'Gee I hope that guy who writes about using a DeWalt grinder wrote something today' I have some good news and I have some bad news. I wrote something, but it's not about using a DeWalt grinder. 

As you may remember, Grace lives in Oma's garage. Oma is my wife's grandma. She's a little old five foot German lady who tells us stories about being a kid during the Second World War. She always apologizes for boring me, but I love it. I lived in Germany for two years, so I've been able to hear a lot of stories from people who grew up on both sides of the conflict. 

Grace's current home, Oma's garage
I've gotten off topic but to bring it back around, Oma's garage  has carpet and a few things stored in it, so no grinding or welding happens in there. This week was just a few hours of odds and ends.

The turbo oil feed line sits in an area which is hotter than I had expected. The aluminum hose end had a plastic retainer, which as you can see, has not fared well. The tubing in the 90 degree bend also twisted a bit when I tightened the end. I decided it would be best to replace this fitting with a steel fitting for a bit more durability.

In the last installment I showed my speedometer and boost gauge mounted. This week I wired them up so that the lights would work, and added a temperature gauge. I'm still rolling with the extra fancy 2-ply cardboard instrument panel.

The final item I addressed this week was the coilover adjustment. Ever since this car has been on the road, it has had an incredibly harsh ride, and poor handling. While building the exhaust I realized this was because my car had about as much suspension up-travel the Ford Raptor shown below.

In reality, the suspension could compress about 3/4" before hitting the bumpstops, as you can kinda-sorta see in the picture below. The black urethane bumpstop is inside the coil spring. I figured if I adjusted the spring collar, and increased the pre-load on the spring, that would increase ride height enough to ensure a smooth ride. 

The coilover wrenches I picked up on eBay for a few bucks did the trick. It was an intense workout to rotate each spring collar 8 times and raise the car about an inch, but it was definitely worth it. I only had time to adjust the rear as you can see below, but already the ride is much smoother and more confident. When I get a little time I'll adjust the front as well and it will be riding as smooth as the finest imported peanut butters.

rear coilovers adjusted, fronts as installed

Today's update was short, but hopefully worth your time. Keep dreaming of a new Smashmouth album, and debating the important things, like how creamy peanut butter is better than chunky. 


  1. Growing up in the Bush of Northern Ontario Red Green has always been one of my heros!

  2. Red Green and his use of duct tape was revered among my friends as a kid :)