Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Gather up your jackets, move it to the exits

After my little fiasco with the fuel pressure regulator, I decided that the injectors probably needed to be cleaned. It made sense to me that if the fuel pressure regulator was frozen shut by deposits, the injectors would be in a similar predicament. Lucky for me, I work less than a mile from RC Fuel Injection. They will clean, rebuild and flow test your injectors for about $25 each. Last time I took a set of injectors to them, I had them in hand less than 6 hours after dropping them off. So I went to their shop and left my injectors with their incredibly friendly and knowledgeable receptionist. This time it took a little longer (a day and a half) but they cleaned my fuel rail free of charge, and the injectors came out so nice I didn't even mind. The nominal flow rate is 270 cc/min and my lowest on the set of six was 269 cc/min and the highest was 271 cc/min.  




The new fuel pressure regulator also came in the mail today, so I put the fuel system all back together. I keyed on, and there was a faint smell of fuel, but everything else seemed to check out. I noticed a bit of wetness by one of the fuel injection hose clamps, and tightened the clamp a bit which seemed to remedy the problem.


In order to take the fuel rail off, I had to also remove the upper intake manifold. This gave me an up close look at the intake runners and I have to say, I am impressed. Nissan definitely had high RPM in mind when they designed this the RB20.  The intake runners are nearly 2 inches in diameter, each feeding a 333 cc cylinder! For comparison, my Ford 2.3 in the Falcon has about 1.61" diameter runners (much bigger than the stock 2.3 manifold at less than 1.5") per 575 cc cylinder. Maybe that's (one of the many reasons) why the Ford 2.3 chokes out at 5500 RPM and the RB20 lasts for another 2000 RPM!



Thanks for watching reading, and until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment